Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Week 3 Reading: The Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8


Image © Marc Dezemery

These are my thoughts about the following chapters of the book titled The Art of Possibility by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander.

Chapter 5 - Leading From Any Chair

Effective leaders recognize and understand that there are different leadership styles.  Being a leader and being the front person is not the same thing.  A true leader knows that they do not have to always be in the front to lead.  They inspire the people in the organization to accomplish amazing things. This is the true organizational power, whether the person yielding the power is at the top of the pyramid or a respected line manager.

Chapter 6 – Rule Number 6

Not taking oneself so seriously is a sentiment that I have heard a lot during my adult life.  As I think back I was very serious as a child also.  I feel that I have always had fun, but have been concerned with being labeled as cavalier.  This reminds me of the early chapter about labels.  I love to have fun but sometimes I am afraid to because of what people will think of me but NOW I am at the point in life where I don’t care what others think. I will live a fun filled life.

Chapter 7 – The Way Things Are

With most aspects of my life, I seem to have a constitution that, although hesitantly sometimes, tends to look at the way things are as an opportunity for new possibilities.  A very real example is how I got to Full Sail University.  The initial disappointment in my career initiated pondering and reflection.  From there, I say world of opportunities that have resulted in an exciting journey that is “now”.

Chapter 8 – Giving Way to Passion

I express my passion almost daily and in every fabric of my life.  My passion is the education and impacting of children’s lives, especially the less fortunate.  I lean into these activities, at work, after work, with my church and often in other ways within my community.

3 comments:

  1. Sonni,
    Students often join the Mac Lab at random points during the year. Shortly after I began teaching, early in the second semester (I teach year-long classes), guidance sent a new student down: a sophomore named Cat Schwartz. Never have I lamented losing a student more than when Cat's family moved to Colorado during the summer. In a few short months, Cat not only created an incredible collection of exemplary examples of digital art, she attracted and inspired students as if she were a shining light in a field of moths. Mature beyond her years and bursting with fresh, original ideas, Cat did in fact shine.

    I imagine by now you're wondering what in the world I'm talking about and what this has to do with your post. Well, in all of my responses so far, my mind has leapt, unbidden, to one or more stanzas from a story called Dream Yet Complete but when rereading your post, an image then an event surfaced of its own accord. I remember asking Cat why she titled the piece "Great Doom." In response she said something like, well look at it!

    To this day, I don't see a hint of doom in the image. I still see a fearless individual facing a seemingly insurmountable foe. Despite outward appearances, there seems to exist no possibility of failure. In speaking with Cat about this, another student, Claire Russell, created a visual representation of my interpretation. That little pink creature became a symbol of invincibility in the Mac Lab.

    I hadn't realized this before composing this response to your post, but I now understand that many of the responses to The Art of Possibility — including yours — speak of individual bravery in the face of great odds and seemingly insurmountable foes. Perhaps that's one of the core characteristics of a great teacher.

    Thanks for helping me to understand.

    For links and imagery: http://mikemacsko.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/wk-3-comment-on-sonni-jackson’s-post/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am learning how to take myself less seriously. It is hard, especially with school. I am such a grade person that it was hard to realize something could frustrate me. Even in doing my best, accepting that sometimes the best isn’t always the grade what you want. I work so hard and support so many others that when it is time to relax and have fun, it is hard or I feel guilty. Learning how to be spontaneous and just doing something new is difficult for me. How do you learn how to take yourself less seriously? Is there a book? Do we just get around people we don’t know and just let loose? I am struggling with this daily. I hope that one day I can jump out a plane, go to China, write a book, or just jump in the car and drive until I stop. Until the day I find my inner Thelma and Louise I will keep striving daily to do something just a little different and allows me to smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonni, I too feel that for the most part I am an optimist. I can see the way things are a the jumping off point, the beginning of a way to move forward. It is important to fully evaluate what is real and true about our surroundings, but to be able to see potential and ways to take this position and to move it forward. Full Sail has also been an opportunity for me to move forward with my situation, the way things are.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Subscribe: