Friday, July 15, 2011

Week 2 Reading: The Art of Possibility Chapters 1-4


After reading the first four chapters of the book titled The Art of Possibility, I know I will enjoy reading the rest of the book.  The first chapter, entitled “It’s All Invented”, focuses on inventing solutions that will enhance our lives and the people involved in our lives.  In “Stepping into a Universe of Possibility”, the second chapter, we learned not to let labels that are created by others define and guide how we see ourselves.  I am guilty of this and also of letting others define me.  Because of this, I know I am not living up to my full potential or possibility.  This has got to change and that change starts now.

The third chapter is entitled, “Giving an A”, and is a wonderful continuation of chapter 2.  I love the idea of giving myself an A.  This concept will help me push myself to keep the A that has been self rewarded.

Chapter four, “Being a Contribution”, made me reflect on last week’s church worship service.  I am a soloist at church although it is not by choice.  By nature, I do not like attention or the spotlight.  So, singing a solo in church is painful and something I have not shared with my family or friends.   Members of my church are the only people that have heard me sing.  This Saturday, I decided to let my father listen to one of my rehearsal recordings.  As he listened, a smile came over his face and he said that I sound good.  He is planning on coming to hear me sing on Sunday.  Although I was not looking for validation from him, my father is also a singer.  So, I contributed to his pride and happiness and I feel good about doing so.

1 comment:

  1. Sonni, the first four chapters stirred me to action as well. Yes, it is an enjoyable read, and I too cannot wait to finish the book. I can relate to not wanting to be the center of attention or in the spotlight. The positive contribution you make to your church when you sing, even when you sometimes dread being put in the spotlight, is a gift and comfort to your listeners. A good way to share your gift to a wider audience is to have your solos recorded and distribute them to people who you think might need to hear your message in song.

    Your story made me ponder my situation. I am a band director but actually enjoy teaching my Audio Engineering class more so than High School Band because of the public performance requirement that comes along with teaching band. After reading your post, I remembered that musicians are messengers, we channel the right message at the right time for the people who need it the most, and we should honor our gift regardless of how we feel. Thanks, I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Subscribe: