Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week 3 Peer Response to Angela


Angela wrote  

I remember when one of my daughter's was around five years old. She looked at me and said she wanted to be a doctor when she grew up.  I was so happy to hear her say those words.  I knew what I needed to do to help her fulfilled her dreams.  However, that fairytale never came true because one of her lovely teacher cast a dark shadow over my daughter's head and told her "if you become a doctor then everyone will die!"  My daughter never told me what that teacher said until years later for the fear of what I may have done.  In the book of The Art of Possibility it talked about a child is an exquisite attention-getting device.  (p. 82).  A child relies on strong leadership to help children to discover who they are and achieve their goals.  However, when that leaders or role models shatter a child’s dreams it affects them.  In adulthood, unless the child has a strong will, they grow up not fulfilling their goals and live their life in a box. 





My response
I am sorry that you daughter had a teacher who did not understand the power of words.  Teachers need to realize that they are there to empower and uplift children and not stifle them for aiming high.  Thank you for sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Subscribe: